I was trying to decide which drama I would like to review next out of all the one’s I’ve watched and I chose Coffee Prince. The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince is a must see for those who haven’t had the opportunity to watch it yet.
Choi Han-gyul (played by Gong Yoo) develops a strong bond with Go Eun-chan (played by Yoon Eun-hye). Han-gyul thinks that Eun-chan is a guy (but in fact she is a tomboy to support her family). Overtime, Han-gyul’s attraction to Eun-chan grows as her struggles with his sexuality, thinking that he might be gay since he’s attracted to someone he believes to be male. There relationship goes through many ups and does as he uncovers his true feelings.
Why I love this drama:
1) Han-gyul’s inner struggle with accepting his feelings is heart wrenching. You can really feel his pain and doubts. Gong Yoo’s acting is flawless in this drama. You want to cry with him (and you just might). He brings so much more to this drama than just good looks. I must add that Gong Yoo is my favorite Korean Actor. After watching this, I immediately sought out dramas and movies that he has been in.
2) Eun-chan is believable as a guy, but feminine and beautiful at the same time. I’ve seen gender bender dramas where the female lead was not believable as a male. Eun-chan’s beauty shines but you can still picture her as a male since she plays the tom boy roll so well. This was the first drama I had seen her in, and I seriously respect her as an actress. This drama would not have been the same without her in this roll.
3) The supporting cast is very strong is this drama. They are funny and charming. I loved all the other Princes and there is something so sexy about Lee Sun-kyun’s deep voice as he plays Chi Han-seong, the charming cousin to Han-gyul. I also really thought the Grandma in this drama was great, even though at times she could be very frustrating.
4) Character Chemistry: The chemistry between the main characters was above par. Some of the best chemistry I’ve seen in Kdramas.
5) The Coffee Shop: Watching this made me want to drink coffee there. The transformation the shop goes through is pretty impressive. I really like the painting on the wall as well. The shop is very inviting and I wanted to walk through the door, order a cappuccino while being served by one of the Coffee Shop Princes.
This drama has the perfect balance between romance and heartache, comedy and heart-wrench. Let me know what you thought of it!
I give this drama 5/5